28. Mär 2024, 21:52 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Edain Demo 4.0 - Your First Impressions!  (Gelesen 18445 mal)

Lord of Mordor

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
Edain Demo 4.0 - Your First Impressions!
« am: 28. Mär 2015, 17:15 »
Once you've made your first rounds with the new Edain version, we'd love to hear what you think! xD
« Letzte Änderung: 26. Jun 2015, 18:13 von Ealendril »
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Richtlinien für Edain-Vorschläge
I Edain Suggestion Guidelines

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
Re: Edain Demo 4.0 - Your First Impressions!
« Antwort #1 am: 28. Mär 2015, 21:06 »
Ok first of all, I know I can't say this is my first impression (because of obvious reasons :P ) however, here I go:

I can't express in words the climatic feelings I'm having  [uglybunti] Edain is just a diamond at the apex of modding!

For me, this was a truly amazing journey that not in my wildest dreams I imagined myself being part of. Thank you, and thrice thank you for this unforgettable experience. It's like the dream that you want to never wake from  (**)

I can't see why anyone would have any issue with the Demo. I doesn't even deserve to be called a Demo! it's a complete release more or less, with barely any bug or glitch thanks to an amazing team and a wonderful crew of testers that left almost nothing to annoy the normal player.
This version lifts the game up to a totally new level that has never been achieved before  xD

P.S. I wanted to post my thanks message on the thread in the beta-testing board, but for some reason I couldn't reply to the thread. so here we are :)

LordDainIronfoot

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • "Tanar Durin nur..."
« Antwort #2 am: 29. Mär 2015, 15:02 »
Well first of all hello I am new here,but I follow Edain Mod from years in ModDB!! :) YOU surely know me with my constant and anoying blabering about the Dwarven Factions XD XD XD
So my first imressions are that the Mod is perfect!!I didn't find any bug for now at least,the graphics and skins are amyzingly good and detaled it gives a whole new Expirience with all 4 Factions,I love the look you used from the Movies for Dol Guldur Orcs they are awesome!!Gondor Soldiers have nice new Skins ,and the new heroes for Rohan their Marshals are great good skins,cool voices and eveything in English I hvae been waitng for this for years and I must say I am not even a bit dissapointed in my waiting it was all worth it :) Neromancer from the Movies is great I love it!!
Eveything I will say will be mostly this great,epic,awesome and such so I will not bother you with it you get the point! ;)
Oh and not to menthion the amout of work,time and efforts you put into this masterpiece and all for free for us fans!!You are without a doubt the best Team out there! :) And you even created different Game Modes so that anyones tastes will and wishes will be fulfiled it really nice and even the CaH and its imporments aand the fact that you Created a Sub Mod just for those who like the Wizard Class,all of this leaves me speachless without a words!!I can only wish youbest of luck in te future in both moding and live and may yu keep making us happy even more! :)
« Letzte Änderung: 29. Mär 2015, 15:15 von LordDainIronfoot »
"I will not stand down before any Elf,not least this Faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishesh nothing but ill upon my people...To Battle,to Battle Sons of Durin!!!..."

"You,think I give a dead dog about your threats you Pointy Ear Princess...Hear now lads,we are on...Let's give those bastards a good Hammering!!!..."

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #3 am: 29. Mär 2015, 15:08 »
Thanks for your impressions and nice to see you here LordDainIronfoot!  xD

LordDainIronfoot

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • "Tanar Durin nur..."
« Antwort #4 am: 29. Mär 2015, 15:21 »
Thanks for your impressions and nice to see you here LordDainIronfoot!  xD
Thank you! :) But I am sensing a bit of a sarcasm! XD
"I will not stand down before any Elf,not least this Faithless Woodland Sprite,he wishesh nothing but ill upon my people...To Battle,to Battle Sons of Durin!!!..."

"You,think I give a dead dog about your threats you Pointy Ear Princess...Hear now lads,we are on...Let's give those bastards a good Hammering!!!..."

Tabulord

• Hobbit
« Antwort #5 am: 30. Mär 2015, 00:14 »
Hello Edain Team and Edain Community,
its my first post and excause my for my bad english but german and english is not my mother tongue, but i loved the edain mod until now...

First i will explain what i like in the 4.0 :

- the feeling is great ! It is fantastic !  Mordor with the new Sauron system, dol guldur and minas morgul fortress,  Isengard with the uruks,mineshafts and the uruk heroes  or Gondor with his city feeling !  great ! 
 - The AI is now a really enemy and use his heroes and spells, but sometimes AI spam heroes like normal units. So it makes fun to fight against the AI !

But there are a lot things i dislike in 4.0 :(
 - the war of the ring has a lot of bugs and is not really playable and i very liked wotr
 - With Rohan you dont need cavallery , you only need peasants and gamling. That is not the Rohan i imagined.
 - the lags if Isengard build a mine or steelwork

- I think the balance is not perfect , i must play more to say something right about it, but i mean mordor is a little bit stronger than others and Rohan with Gamling is unstoppable, also the dol amroth fortress is very strong

and what i hate in 4.0 :

- The gameplay is sooo slow. sometimes i only watch my units are running and  a lot of "war of position" ( fight only in one area for example settlement or a dol amroth fortress..)
 - the countersystem does not exist...   You gave the units more life to do tactical moves but they are useless ! That dont make sense for me...   You can do what you want, not the player with more good tactical moves win, the player with the stronger army win ! there are no surprises in a match and sometimes it is really boring. Multiplayer a 1on1 is very boring, big rounds with 6 or 8 are okay but its still slow...

- with a stronger countersystem and maybe more settlements to fight for  it can be a great multiplayer game else not... (my opinion)

I must clearly say : i dislike 4.0 !
Its a Demo yes ! but a Demo version  demonstrate the gameplay of the full version and sorry but i find this is the wrong way. To play with the AI it is okay and great but for multiplayer is senseless...
Maybe you have should named it a Beta and not a Demo

And for the Edain Tunngle Community there :
i am disappointed with the tunngle community !
They are kicking without saying something, they leave the game without saying something, they rarely answer in the chat.  I understand that most of them play in their own groups but  if you are 5 and kick the 6th player  because you dont know him   YOU destroy your own multiplayer !
I must say on gameranger they are more friendly than in tunngle and i find it bad that the community is divided in two parts...  but i think i will play on gameranger again.

The only one who were friendly to me was Lordrush, elendil and reshef  of over 70 players !

Gepetto

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #6 am: 30. Mär 2015, 00:39 »
Zitat
And for the Edain Tunngle Community there :
i am disappointed with the tunngle community !
They are kicking without saying something, they leave the game without saying something, they rarely answer in the chat.  I understand that most of them play in their own groups but  if you are 5 and kick the 6th player  because you dont know him   YOU destroy your own multiplayer !
I must say on gameranger they are more friendly than in tunngle and i find it bad that the community is divided in two parts...  but i think i will play on gameranger again.
I am sorry, but it is your fault, that you was kicked so often.   :P
It is normal in tunngle, that you have to spam ingame for not getting auto kicked. I hosted a game and wrote many times, that this will happen.
You also joined my game and never followed those instructions, what happened ---> Auto kick.
The tunngle community is very happy about every new Player there, you just have to listen to them.  ;)

Tabulord

• Hobbit
« Antwort #7 am: 30. Mär 2015, 11:35 »
I know that i must spam in the chat ;)
I use tunngle since 4 years but i have switched to gameranger because i dont like the moral/mood of the tunngle players.
I never joined your game because i always get a "connection time out". You only see a ghost of me in your game. (you should know that :P and i write in the chat that i cant join) And gepetto i dont mean you, the last 2 days nearly everyone are so "unfriendly"

But this is not the right thread to talk about the function of tunngle or his community, this is a feedback thread and that was my feedback to edain 4.0 and hid tunngle community :)

Kastorus

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #8 am: 30. Mär 2015, 14:48 »
Hello Edain team!  :)
I want to thank you for this wonderful mod everything is so great even more then I expected keep up the good work cant wait for more factions. New AI is finnaly challenging and also coopearting attacks which is much more fun to deffend against them just saw that they aint upgrading units that much just few heavy armors and I saw only one or two forged blades after few hours of playin so I guess if u can improve that so they can make more upgraded units but thats only thing that AI doesnt use much everything else is perfect just perfect, how they use spells,monsters,heroes and other things. Also game modes are perfect for those that are heroes in normal game ''weak'' can use gamemode Legendary heroes which is not my case because I think that heroes are now as they should be and not killing machines without army. Those who want faster games can use Victory points or Conquests atleast I think they are faster and for those that want some kind of long games can use skirmish/battle or epic battle which is really nice. In overall everything is EPIC and finnaly hard! :)
And I found out that Isengard AI isnt building steelworks at outpost so they always build camp and then nothing not even a single building.
Good luck with fixing and I hope we can see new factions soon! :)

klantai

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #9 am: 30. Mär 2015, 14:53 »
First and foremost, hello everyone, I'm new here, so pleased to meet you : ).

Second, as I said on ModDB, many thanks to the Edain Team for the tremendous work you did on BfME : you literally raised from the dead the interest I had for the game and got me playing again, so I can't thanks you enough : ).

Now for my impression : I had a very busy week-end so I only had time for 2 games with a friend :
- I played Gondor and her Rohan (against 2 easy enemies, Mordor and Isengard)
- I played Mordor and her Isengard (against 3 easy enemies : 2 Gondor and 1 Rohan)
So I have not seen everything and I may have missed things even with the factions I played.

As I feel I have a lot to say, I'm going to try to keep the whole thing organized and clean.
Also, I'll probably end up writing : "it would be better if" and the likes, so I'll apologize in advance : I'm not complaining and I really think you guys did an amazing job, but there are a few things I couldn't help to feel could be better (though it is ultimately my opinion) and I wish to tell you about them, should you agree and should it help make this mod even better : ).

General impression : The Good...

Going back to the old BfME I fixed building plots and wall system was a real delight. I never cared so much for the BfME II system, especially with it's extremely brittle buildings and walls, so being able to play with the system I like best while still having a ton of new stuff was epic : ).
All the unit models were cool, as were most of the portraits : I especially like the unveiled dark general's (I think it's his name ^^), and I also really like the Ringlo dale swordsmen (model and portrait).
I hadn't read about the new choice system on resource buildings : (choice between defense, production and command points) and I was really happy to find it in game. It adds a really nice dimension to managing resource buildings that complements well with their new diversity (farms, houses etc.).
Overall, it was a really good experience and I look forward to many more games in the future. Especially, playing the Demo was like coming back to a ten times better BfME I, but when there will be dwarves, and elves it will be...*drool*...

And the Feedback...

Maps

I only played two so I can't say much, ans I don't see what I could complain about. The only thing would be that you do not know before starting a map whether you'll have a castle or a camp, and thus I was unable to play with a full city for my first two games since I picked the maps at random.
As I remember, in the skirmish menu, BfME I said for each map the nature of the starting points for the player (as well as the number of other building points of interest), and I think it might be a good idea to add that to the map description. However, in the comments for the 4.0 update, I remember reading a few times people of the Team speaking about leaving us things untold to explore, and if it is a deliberate choice not to tell us before we actually play the map, then it's fine ^^.

Bugs and Glitches ?

I haven't seen many, but a few things caught my eye :
- In the Rohan Stud building, the pacing horse tends to go halfway through the fence.
- I witnessed a battalion of Scout Uruks that were running very hard as per their animation, while their actual movement speed was slow, making the overall impression rather awkward.
- I think I remember a battalion of Cirith Ungol (or maybe regular) pikemen running with an oddly quick leg movement animation.
- After an hour and a half of the second game, the game crashed with an error I forgot to write down. I suspect it has something to do with my friend building a Steelworks (the Outpost upgrade building for Isengard) as she had just started building it, and when I built it as a test in a quick game I did after that, it did not crash the game but froze it for a couple of seconds.

(On a side note : I've always believed that the original sound effect for the farms (in BfME I, and II as well, I think) comes from the squeaking of the gate of Shadowfaxe's box in the Two Towers film when Gandalf comes to him in Edoras to ride out and gather Rohirrim to fight at Helm's Deep (at least it sound quite similar), and that it was why this weird noise was supposed to represent the farms of the good factions (I might be wrong, as it does not make that much of sens anyway ^^). At any rate, I believe I heard this sound play on a resource building for evil (I think it's the slave fields of Mordor) and because it felt associated with Rohan, or at least Good in my head, I found it sounded awkward).

Unit Models and Portraits

Don't see what I could say about the models, they're all quite cool : ). And that's precisely for that reason I have a few gripes with some portraits : as in Edain 3.8, there are a few instances of very cool units having a sub-par portrait.
In 3.8 Dale Men where concerned, along with the added Dwarf Unit with the mattock and a few others.
In 4.0, I saw two of the 4 reinforcement troops (from the beacon) for Gondor : the archers and the pikemen : they have zooms of their model (I assume) as portrait, but it seems too coarse compared to the precise drawing-like portraits of most other BfME and Edain units. I was especially disappointed by the archer's portrait because the arrival of Gondor reinforcements in the books is one of my favorite part. When I saw I could get them through the beacon I was overjoyed, then disappointed to only see the (gorgeous) Ringlo swordsmen and quite nice axemen, wondering where the archers (I love archers : ) were, then over-overjoyed to see I could get them through the spellbook, then disappointed again to the them with a really nice model but lackluster portrait.

I do realize that most portraits for units you added are reworked pictures from the films (ah, I remember, I also quite like Erkenbrand's portrait ^^) and as such it is harder to find portraits for units that don't figure in the films at all (boo to Peter Jackson for not including the Gondor reinforcements btw : P). On the other hand, I believe the unit portrait is as important as it's model, as it's certainly bigger on the screen and contributes to giving it an unique and awesome identity : it's like in old RPGs (ex : Baldur's Gate) : you didn't care much that the model for your character is small on the screen and/or not very detailed, because you had an extra-large detailed portrait to fuel your imagination and representation of the character.

Be it as it may, I believe the Ringlo swordsmen (yes, them again : P), are a perfect example of successful Edain units with perfect model-portrait combination, as are most added units, really, and I believed it was worth mentioning for the few units I felt were lacking in that department.

On the same note, some buildings icons suffered in my opinion of the same problem (I can recall the Gondor stonework). I believe it is a tiny detail that is nonetheless detrimental to the overall feeling of overall very high quality of the mod : ).

A last very minor point : the two Southron units are a bit confusing because they look so much like each other and at first I didn't understand why the game considered them as a mixed horde of units and not several battalions of the same thing ^^.

English

Not much to say, a few awkward translations and a few forgotten German lines (Theoden's mount toggle I believe, for instance). On that note, a great many thanks for the full translation and voice-over in English for this Edain 4.0 : I don't have a thing against the German language, but I just don't understand much of it, and having units speaking both German lines and English ones was a bit strange (and I can't deny having LotR material in it's original language feels right for me : P).

Good Siege Units

This is bordering on balance considerations, and I don't think I know a thing about that, but I felt the Good IA (Rohan mostly) overused it's rams. They look gorgeous (with the horse head) but you come to dislike them somewhat when they come to your base three at a time ^^.
While I see the necessity for even Rohan to have siege units, I feel they should be either rarer, or easier to destroy (the rams I mean), especially because of the tendency of the IA to run straight for your buildings. As I recall, in BfmE I, rams were very effective against gates, but quite brittle too, and it seemed fine. Not to mention I can't see Rohan as a siege nation ^^.

On another note, it's more a question of taste, but I find Rohan's catapult and Gondor's ram feel out of place. Both models are good (especially the catapult's), but don't quite fit in my opinion. The catapult feels too heavy and squarish for the horse-lords, while the ram doesn't look very gondorean. Actually, for the Gondor ram, I believe a solid trunk with an adorned head and a company of armored soldiers (maybe shield bearers to make it look tougher ^^) to carry it like Rohan would be better. While the defense of Minas-Tirith (as shown in the movie and books) justifies their possessing powerful trebuchets, as they don't seem to be quite the conquering/besieging nation, it seems odd for them to have such an implement of medieval warfare.

Buildings

There again, it's more of a matter of taste, but, while most buildings models are really good, I couldn't help but feel some buildings were just a bit off.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't remember seeing a great visual difference between different stages of Mordor buildings, so a full fledged Mordor base felt a bit more bleak than threatening (then again, Mordor IS bleak ^^).
Some buildings on the outposts too feel “lonely” : I had this impression most with the Dol Amroth fortress, the Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol fortress as well as a few others. I don't know if it's because they're a bit blocky, or because there's no transition between the building and the surrounding nature (like moats, a small garden, courtyard, or other) but they somewhat feel liker they were just dropped there but don't belong.
Especially the Dol Amroth fortress (and Gothaurs Tor ...), as it reuses the model for the classical Men (and Mordor) fortress from BfmE II but without the extension plots and thus feels a little incomplete.

Buildings Experience and Units Recycling

It may be because I was playing in Easy (although the enemy hit quite hard in the beginning, and overthrew us once or twice, but I'm not a very skilled RTS player ^^) but I had a few unit management problems : the ability to specialize some resource structures for command points is really good and welcome but :

As far as I could tell, buildings earn experience from troops production, and some upgrades/troops become available at higher buildings levels. For that reason, once the game-start havoc was calmed, I ended up being unable to research flaming arrows and producing the elite Gondor unit from the barracks (as much as I wanted to, it looks awesome : P) because I was at full command points from producing troops (and getting beacon reinforcements) and couldn't produce more troops to level my building, and it was a bit frustrating.

For that same reason, I looked for the possibility BfME II had introduced to decommission units at the citadel to free space, but couldn't find it, so it gave me a few ideas.

First, it doesn't seem proper, at least for good factions, to have to send units to their death if they end up having to many (which is quite easy for Gondor with the beacon and/or if the game becomes a bit stagnant) ; for that purpose, I believe decommissioning was a good option.

Second, I do see why it is important for buildings not to be able to recruit top tier units at the start (even if it's blocked by their high cost), and I was never fond of BfME II bought tier leveling, but being blocked from producing high end units late game simply because you didn't rely on that building for battle until now seems a bit hard. Therefore, I thought that maybe, putting a progressive slow experience gain for buildings (like it was the case for at least some buildings in BfME I) in addition to the burst experience from producing troops, could prevent this from happening.

Lastly, it's just a wild suggestion, but while decommissioning seems like a good thing, it always seemed odd to exchange your soldiers for resources (like you were actually killing them and serving them to the rest to eat ^^) ans so it gave me some ideas of mechanism :
- you decommission them to a troop building to give it a bit experience
- you decommission them to a production building to gain a short-time production buff (thanks to the extra hands for managing the farms/work you see : P)
- you decommission them to upgrade buildings for a short use (the next 1-2) upgrade price reduction
Or something of the kind, with possible specific effects (like feeding them to the Troll cage to boost a bit troll production, like trolls were able to eat Orcs to regenerate health in BfME I (while it made no sense ^^).

Gondor's Beacon and Overall Outposts Buildings

I have two points to make, one reasonable and the other less so.

Reasonably, it would be nice to be able to toggle on-off the Gondor beacon, so as to stop the influx of soldiers when you don't need them, without destroying the building. While I don't know about the mod-coding feasibility, it seems rather reasonable both gameplay and lore wise : the toggle would be signaled by the fire being lit-unlit, and it makes sense that Gondor should light the fires when they need help and then smother them when they don't anymore.

Unreasonably, it's about how the outpost possibilities of all factions but Mordor (and maybe Rohan, since I didn't play with them but saw a bit of how it worked on my friend's screen and in updates) seem limited. Actually, during the months of waiting impatiently for the 4.0 version to go out, I read all the updates, and I like very much the idea of the minifactions (Mirkwood for Lorien, Dale etc.) and they seem so much fun that the steelworks of Isengard and the somewhat empty Dol Amroth fortress look a bit dull. As I tend pro prefer playing the good factions, I must say I don't have a clue for Isengard, but for Gondor I got a few ideas I might as well mention.

I seem to remember reading that you considered the beacon was just right on small outside buildplots because it was not good enough for an Outpost, but I would beg to differ. I believe that, in the books (as it was almost completely left aside in the films T_T), Gondor's strength is in it's size and it's ability to call on its fiefs for their soldiers when defending Minas-Tirith. After all, during the siege of the city and the battle of the fields of Pelenor, even if we count Rohan out since it's already a separate faction, I believe at least half the defenders were not from the city but from its fiefs, even more so since, in the books, Aragorn doesn't bring the dead to the fields of Pelenor but an army from South Gondor he was able to muster after freeing them from the Corsairs at the mouths of Anduin (this time, really thanks to the Dead ^^).

As such, the beacon, as an iconic building from the movie dedicated to calling one's allies, seems perfect to me as a full fledged Outpost building. To justify it being an Outpost Building, I can think of maybe (full knowing it would be a lot of work for you, so those are just suggestions off the top of my head) :
- giving the units the beacon gives access to some specific abilities
- putting the Dol Amroth infantry/elite cavalry in there as well
- making available some new heroes from the other fiefs (Forlong, the archer brothers whose name I completely forgot and die trampled by Mumaks) ; or, in a total rip-off of Rohan's marshal system you implemented, have those “heroes” come to the beacon and then summon a battalion of it's troops to fight under his command.
- putting there one upgrade or two justified by trade or exchange with the fiefs (better horses maybe, as Gondor's cavalry from Minas-Tirith is few and not very strong (book)
- rather than having the beacon call all troops, have the player choose one or maybe two regions to call on, which would then send it's troops after the proper delay
- have Dol Amroth be a “rare drop” from troop summon, or available only after a spellbook/beacon upgrade
- have the beacon be more than a beacon and be a place of communication with Gondor's fiefs, and so give some income (like Laketown seems to be able to do for the dwarves), and maybe replace the market in it's functions.
- maybe... (I'm forgetting myself ^^)

Maybe with a bit of an overhaul Ithilien rangers camp could become an Outpost building as well, with the ability of waylaying troops, acting thus as a subtle defense structure, and giving access to very good archers. After all, Ithilien is Gondor's closest fief to Mordor and they seem to rely a lot on ambush to weaken and thwart the Dark Lord in his designs, so giving it the ability to summon temporarily a company of elite bowman in its vicinity for defense purposes wouldn't sound strange to me : ).

Unit Information

This is a very minor point, but there are a few cases where you don't really know which of two units you should take to fulfill a role. The rule I apply in general, is the more costly in resources/command points a unit is, the stronger it will most likely be, but I find it somewhat awkward to have no “objective” way of choosing. Displaying the unit's full stats would seem intrusive and a bit much, but maybe a star/rank/I don't know, maybe just some text system to point us in the right direction when comparing troops could be nice.

Production Upgrades

I'll finish with that one as my text is getting rather long and whimsical ^^.
As I said earlier, I as quite delighted to see the unannounced (or else I had missed it's announcement) production buildings upgrade system, so of course I had some ideas regarding that too ^^ :
- it would be nice maybe to have a few different icons depending on if the building is good/evil and/or if it produces food or iron.
- it would be nice to have variants to the upgrades depending on factions : like Gondor produces less but can enhance its farms defense more, or something ; or even to have one upgrade specific to faction

And at long last I've finished ^^. I hope I didn't sound too reproachful because it wasn't my aim at all, nor was it to tell you what's good and what isn't or what to do : I believe you did a wonderful and tremendous job (the launcher blew me away by the way, I almost wondered if I hadn't launched Battle-Net by mistake instead of Edain ^^) and I'm just getting even greedier for the little things I'd like to see and play because I love Tolkien's Middle-Earth so much and you listen to us so much : ).
At any rate, thanks for reading all this, if anybody has, and thanks a lot for the great mod : ).

Side note :

Sorry for the wall of text, when I started writing, I couldn't stop : P.
Sorry if I strayed from the focus of this topic, I'm not too used to posting on forums ^^ ; I tried to keep it as objective and factual as I could.

Once again to the Edain Team, thank you for the mod, and congratulations on the successful production of Battle for Middle Earth 3 : ).
« Letzte Änderung: 30. Mär 2015, 18:51 von Ealendril »

Azog The Defiler

• Pförtner von Bree
« Antwort #10 am: 1. Apr 2015, 15:46 »
One word, AWESOME!
My favourite faction is Mordor and what you have done with them is simply amazing!
I especially like the Dol Guldur orcs, they look just like in the movie, and the new Khamul and Sauron and his leveling system is totally awesome! I really like that they have the fortresses on outposts, it adds alot!

The other factions are also totally great! Isengard steelworks and captains, The good factions with walls add alot when there can be a siege in a regular map, Gondor looks awesome and their new siege unit and arnor is great, Rohan got a lot better and also their new siege unit!

This post could get a lot longer, but anyways, i can only thank you for your epic mod,   
i cant belive we get it for free, its like a whole new game, and we havet even seen half of the factions!!^^
Elves! Men! Dwarves! The mountain will be their tomb! To war!

AndulusOptimus

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #11 am: 1. Apr 2015, 16:58 »
Dear Lords and Makers of Edain,

it is really a great job that you have been doing and still do out there. I need to say, I love this mod (which is quite a game for itself). It revives the spirit of the books and the movies and makes it all quite real. It is just fantastic to be part of all the characters, factions and subfactions, which are all so wonderful designed. For your continuing journey I also want to give the team some of my thoughts to the new version (4.0), which popped up while I was playing one round after another. But this are just small things, some of them are just very personal. All in all you know, as I know: This mod is great, everybody from middle-earth loves it and it will stick in our memories! ;) Thanks a lot members of edain!

To start with what I would try to change a bit I want to talk about the standard units of the different factions. I think they are a bit too equal in fights against each other. Rohan peasants are from my point of view quite to strong against uruk batallions. While the cavallery is hard to stop even with spearmen. All in all I would postulate that Rohan is a bit too strong, having heavy cavallery as well as very good and cheap artillery, but also great infantry. I found that the special abilities of the different factions have become a little less strong therefore they all have been a bit generelaized. This is of course to a very small degree in comparison to Edain mod 3.8.1. But thats in the first place what I loved about edain. The different factions and there specialisations. So I would love to see the different strengths of the different units and batallions.

What I really love is the idea with the outposts and the connection to the subfactions. Some are missed (like Hobbits, elves from lindon, etc.) but overall I like the gameplay very much. I only hope you take all the colour (different extra units and heroes and subfactions) of edain 3.8.1 into edain 4.0 with its great strategical gameplay. Here I have the 1) question: Will the dwarfes still be split in the different nations? I loved this in edain3.8.1 and it made the game worth to be played and played again exploring always something new.

I found the spells Saruman could use from the tower very boring (They are the same, only thunderstorm gets a greater area of damage) and most cant be used on distance.

As to the units I find gondor infantry should clearly be stronger then Rohan and uruks really should be stronger then most, they get killed quite fast even with all upgrades. Spearman on lvl 5 with all upgrades still get knocked away from rohan cavallery??!

Sometimes I find making money a little too fast.

But as I said this are all things that I miss to a small degree, mostly in comparison to Edain 3.8.1. But I love the gaming system, the graphics and details and I have nothing to say to that.

One 2) question I have is concerning the campange. Will there be an campange ??

(for example the campagne from BFME1? That would be just too great, with all the new factions and everything you did, I would jump around my house. Maybe even with some few missions from the hobbit before and from the war of the dwarfes inbetween, all on the map, so you have one campagne with all the factions and subfactions and the whole or the key chronology of middle-earth and you get to see all the places on the map etc. It would be like reading a book, watching the movie and listening to an audiobook together while playing an amazing game. I mean thats crazy but when I imagine this missions with your strategic gaming and all your factions and subfactions and heroes and units,.. guys this would be the best campagne ever. Everybody would just collapse!)

So, after this is all said and I also told of my campange dream more could and surely will follow! ;-)
Keep up the great great work together with the community and the world shall remember the great adventures of middleearth and our children will still play this game! Cheers and thanks again!!!
AndulusOptimus

.Eol.

• Hobbit
« Antwort #12 am: 1. Apr 2015, 18:13 »
Hello,

I played the previous versions of Edain and already found this mod unbelieveable, but this time I'm just .... whoaow. (I hope you know what I mean ^^)

I didn't play much but I have to say the whole thing is pretty clean : no crashes, no bugs (or nearly) no problems with the AI enemy, all spells, capacities and new units are amazing, love how you turned the gameplay from BFME 1 into this... This is a great experiment and honestly, your mod is much more than amazing.

But ! I'm here to give my feedback, so I'll try to be fast and accurate : I played with Isengard enough to see some issues, that I'll try to describe as they are really annoying (hopefully I'm not alone to get those problems) :

- Warg riders don't attack. I mean, they can hit, but it takes a lot of time, and they are just unable to attack a building correctly (you can imagine how it's going in melee)
- The Hunt (lvl 10 Lurtz power) seems to be targeting ally units too. I used the capacity on a hero close to my men, and my troops were hit with the red circles (it didn't disappear and my units were slowed down...)
- Saruman seems to have an issue with Power of Speech, when he uses it from the tower or not. (after 2 casts, the power wasn't available anymore, saying : requisite lvl 3 (he was actually lvl 6)

- Too much units cause lag, and that's normal, but I think you should consider making hordes like in BFME 1 (5 men for Good and 10 for Evil) - this is only my opinion.

There we are, that's not so much, but I hope it will help you because those are very little bugs that can break the game easily.

Otherwise that's just awesome, keep it up !!!

PS : sorry for the faults, English isn't my native language.

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #13 am: 1. Apr 2015, 20:13 »
1) question: Will the dwarfes still be split in the different nations? I loved this in edain3.8.1 and it made the game worth to be played and played again exploring always something new.
Definitely yes. Three Dwarvish kingdoms is something really unique (and such system).

(for example the campagne from BFME1? That would be just too great, with all the new factions and everything you did, I would jump around my house. Maybe even with some few missions from the hobbit before and from the war of the dwarfes inbetween, all on the map, so you have one campagne with all the factions and subfactions and the whole or the key chronology of middle-earth and you get to see all the places on the map etc. It would be like reading a book, watching the movie and listening to an audiobook together while playing an amazing game. I mean thats crazy but when I imagine this missions with your strategic gaming and all your factions and subfactions and heroes and units,.. guys this would be the best campagne ever. Everybody would just collapse!)

There will be improved Dwarvish campaign and maybe something new.
I really like "old campaign" from BFME 1, too. I hope that sometimes in the future we would see Lord of the rings campaign ... modified into the new Edain mod style. :)
And yes,
then we could together jump around our houses.  :P :D
« Letzte Änderung: 1. Apr 2015, 20:22 von TiberiusOgden »

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #14 am: 1. Apr 2015, 23:11 »
Thanks to everyone for theyre review. Glad to see so much international fans around here.
To answer one short question:
Zitat
Definitly yes. There will be a full campaign in one of the next updates. ;)

Dvar

• Hobbit
« Antwort #15 am: 2. Apr 2015, 04:28 »
Spoiler alert  :P, hope campaign will be about the war of the ring

LordDainIronfoot

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • "Tanar Durin nur..."
« Antwort #16 am: 2. Apr 2015, 21:29 »
I would lvoe to see the Dwarven Campaign Completed and play it with the MOvie desings for Thror and Thrain if the Team likes them!And I would be more than happy to play a War of te Ring Capmpagin but fully following the Books events I mean all in it not like in the Movies,Battle of Dalem,Battle for teh Forts of Isen and not using the Army of Dead for Pelenor Fields!
P.S. how can one do not love this Mod and its team!! They are the best ! :) And I can't wait to see the Udpate! :)

LordMaus

• Wanderer des Alten Waldes
« Antwort #17 am: 3. Apr 2015, 01:14 »
CURRENTLY, THERE IS ONE MAIN PROBLEM AT THE DEMO RIGHT NOW which is once isengard or rohan or gondor starts to do their troops as upgraded versions ( shiny weapons, with better OP - overpowered armors  ) then MORDOR TROOPS EVEN DOL GULDUR OR MINAS MORGUL ORCS OR THAT 1600 OR 1200 ELITE TROOPS OR HEROES CANNOT DO ANYTHING... at 3.8.1 I was using catapults for that units but right now at 4.0 catapults don't give any damage to troops ( 1-2 deaths or some injuries to troopers only now ). Shortly, mordor cannot defend itself against that upgraded hordes or make a counter attack successfully after mid game ( 15 minutes later sth against AI ). And this issue happening after mid game for sure !!! At least make dol guldur or minas morgul orcs producing time faster plz with less cost. I play for a long time at 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 and this is the main issue right now.

another thing is you are saying you intend to make custom heroes weak ;but there are too weak really... we spend +1400 in game currency for that non-sense hero ,even we were really happy while customizing ourself :((

there are really less settlements and big camp areas at most of 2 vs 2 , 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 maps. Some trolls cannot be seen and at some maps when you build another stronghold you are getting 6 or 4 building circles instead of 6 or 8. There is lag  while playing but not constantly ( but it is more than 3.8.1 version and I don't know what causes it too ).

AI is kind of getting stronger really faster than normal ways in short times ( it is what I realised ).

Make the good factions' castle and camp walls really much more and much more durable with more health really. Otherwise it is really easy to destroy it.

Note:
I play from the start of release non-stop and I have played too man matches already ;so I make a small feedback here, please consider these, thank you.

-Mandos-

• Bündnisgenosse der Elben und Menschen
  • Mess with the Best!
« Antwort #18 am: 3. Apr 2015, 02:05 »
Did you try trolls to fight upgraded armies? With the Nazgul Debuff, the Gothmog leadership and some orc overseers your armies also shouldnt fall behind completly. Of course, orcs arent as strong as upgraded Uruks, but the combination of your heroes and some special units like trolls or Mumakil make Mordor also really strong later in the game.

Your own heroes... well, I guess you can make them weak or overpowered, depending on your skill choices. It is not really a balanced feature at the moment :)
A Túrin Turambar turún' ambartanen!
Túrin, master of doom, by doom mastered!

LordMaus

« Antwort #19 am: 3. Apr 2015, 09:33 »
the problem is, they are coming with a big zerg with the combination of other AI too. I like to play as hardcore mod ;so yesterday I tried this again : 2 isengard + 1 gondor + 1 rohan vs 4 mordor at 4 vs 4 maps and I must say after 15 minutes, all AIs' armies were almost upgraded and attacked me or attacked me ally at the same time ( thy target one to destroy it first ). My allies came to my help always but it was not enough :(

I like trolls but enemy AI loves to spawn the spear units too much and your troll dies against spear units too fast and trolls are too expensive too; that's why I was going for dol guldur or minas morgul orcs.

In addition, I look forward for more 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 castle maps with more settlements and big camp options. At current version there are really settlements and big camp options ;and I want more castle style 3 vs 3 and 4 vs 4 maps really.

LordMaus

« Antwort #20 am: 3. Apr 2015, 09:39 »
Did you try trolls to fight upgraded armies? With the Nazgul Debuff, the Gothmog leadership and some orc overseers your armies also shouldnt fall behind completly. Of course, orcs arent as strong as upgraded Uruks, but the combination of your heroes and some special units like trolls or Mumakil make Mordor also really strong later in the game.

Your own heroes... well, I guess you can make them weak or overpowered, depending on your skill choices. It is not really a balanced feature at the moment :)

AI is coming with huge archer and spear horde generaly with the combination of their other AI units too to destroy you ( AI target one player first to eliminate and you can understand it when they send their first smalll 1-2 hordes to you^^ ). I tried what you said but they are too many man really. Thy destroy my heroes, trolls, mumakils and orcs too fast with their upgrades huge combined armies...

I don2t know why but this AI(s) are always targeting me first LOL.

klantai

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #21 am: 3. Apr 2015, 11:00 »

I was wondering about mentionning that : I did find trolls (with armour and sword upgrades) to be very effective against enemy troops, but it kind of feels like you just have to field as many of them as you can, with a swarm of random orcs to have a fighting chance : all in all, I felt somewhat limited in my choice of useful troops. It's especially true if you don't manage to capture/keep an outpost, because then your only strong trainable unit is the troll : as such, in both power and diversity Mordor feels much more dependant on his outpost buildings than other factions.

I feel that maybe giving more importance to Southron/Haradrim could be a way of filling the "gap" : if orcs are mindless bow-fodder, it would somewhat make sens to have black-men be the better troops, maybe even with upgrades.

Another thing : I agree that in the movies orcs are the worst possible soldiers, only useful because of their vast numbers, but I don't remember it being that much the case in the books : they're not very disciplined for sure, and weaker than elves/dwarves/humans, but still...As such, I don't see why threre couldn't be some decently strong orc units (veterans maybe, or guards of the black gate or someting ^^).

Lastly : I remember some Mordor troops that gave the rohirim a tough time on the fields of Pelenor were half-trolls with great axes (I think that was it ^^) : not to mention there aren't many units with axes and it could be very cool (barring the very ugly half-trolls BfME II gave us for Misty-Mountains) couldn't they fill to some extent the somewhat vaccant spot of strong non-pike melee units for Mordor ? : P.

Elendils Cousin 3. Grades

• Administrator
  • Ringträger
  • German, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?
« Antwort #22 am: 3. Apr 2015, 12:22 »
Regarding strong non-pike-melee units for Mordor: Checked Cirith Ungol yet?^^

Also, Mordor doesn't get stronger by upgrading their troops, they get stronger by weakening the enemy. The more heroes you field, the weaker your enemy gets. ;)

LordMaus

« Antwort #23 am: 3. Apr 2015, 13:53 »
but if you check the patch notes thy are kinda nerf the mordor now. 

- Mouth of Sauron now costs 2000
- Gothmog now costs 1200
- Nazgûl now cost 1500
- Fortresses of Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur now cost 3000
- Peasants have 50 less health
- Draft spell now requires two points
- Gamling now longer grants additional upgrades with his call to arms at higher levels

why Fortresses of Minas Morgul and Dol Guldur now cost 3000 ? Mordor power is rely on to settlements and outposts too much comparing to other factions and if you lose some of these places you lose many things in general. In addition if you give importance to one side then other side costs too much money. There is no balance between each other and with this nerf mordor will lose its agresive potion more comparing the isengard and other 2 factions. This is my opinion.

klantai

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #24 am: 3. Apr 2015, 14:03 »
Regarding strong non-pike-melee units for Mordor: Checked Cirith Ungol yet?^^

Also, Mordor doesn't get stronger by upgrading their troops, they get stronger by weakening the enemy. The more heroes you field, the weaker your enemy gets. ;)

Well, I have only had time to play two games with Mordor, so if I stated anything incorrect, my appologies : ).
As far as I remember, in Cirith Ungol, you get the Hallberdier (pike unit), Black Uruk archers (archers ^^) and another melee unit to wich I believe you refer. I have made a few of those and remember finding they didn't look very dangerous or threatening, and I don't recall them performing anything outstanding, so I may have misjuged them ; I'll try them again : ).

As for Mordor getting stronger by weakening their enemies, you've got a point, and after reflection I may have been looking for straightforward unit power where it's not the main focus ; I'll have to test that more thoroughly, thanks : ) (and after testing it's giving me ideas for suggestions : P).

-Mandos-

• Bündnisgenosse der Elben und Menschen
  • Mess with the Best!
« Antwort #25 am: 3. Apr 2015, 15:33 »
[...] As for Mordor getting stronger by weakening their enemies [...]

That's the trick. Mordor has a crazy number of leaderships and debuffs in combination with an endless amount of orcs so you can really use everything you want.

Just fight against the AI with the eye of Sauron (more damage for your units), the cursed land (?) for more defense, Gothmog (more damge for your orcs and some extra orcs), Nazgul (less defense and attack for enemies plus you can destroy their formations with the sreech) and if you have the Darkness spell it gets even crazier (all enemie leaderships are negated). You just have to watch your heroes carefully, if its to dangerous, dont fight with them, just let their auras do their work.

For elite without Outposts you'll have to rely on heroes, trolls, Rhûn and Harad or the mentioned Cirith Ungol units (even though they arent as strong as Tower Guards, they are still better than normal orcs and if I remember correctly they cost no Command points).
A Túrin Turambar turún' ambartanen!
Túrin, master of doom, by doom mastered!

LordMaus

« Antwort #26 am: 4. Apr 2015, 14:13 »
when you will look at suggestions posts at your forum and make some feedback comments at Edain mod suggestion side ( by edain mod developer friends and demomodtesters ) ?

Here is my suggestions for mordor and isengard. Even myself I love my mordor suggestion much more^^ :

This is my isengard suggestions for Edain 4.0 demo to improve the gameplay more :

http://forum.modding-union.com/index.php/topic,30592.0.html

This is my mordor suggestions for Edain 4.0 demo to improve the gameplay more :

http://forum.modding-union.com/index.php/topic,30590.0.html

Note:

Please let me know what do you think about my suggestions, and please don't forget to make some comments there too, thank you.
« Letzte Änderung: 4. Apr 2015, 14:17 von LordMaus »

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #27 am: 4. Apr 2015, 14:39 »
when you will look at suggestions posts at your forum and make some feedback comments at Edain mod suggestion side?

Please let me know what do you think about my suggestions, and please don't forget to make some comments there too, thank you.

LordMaus,

I am sure that we all are able to read and when we will have a free time, we will definitely support such discussion there.

Gnomi

• Administrator
« Antwort #28 am: 4. Apr 2015, 17:16 »
As already answered in the other thread:
We read most of the forum, but not everything, as we don't have time for it and we don't answer everything after we've read it. If we do this, we would have no time at all for modding. ;)
It's useless to ask us all the time, just try to make the community like your concepts, if many people discuss/like it, we will see that more than 1-2 people like the idea and we'll discuss the idea. :)

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #29 am: 4. Apr 2015, 21:39 »
I appreciate lots of options in the Create a hero!  :)

Hilda Bianca from the Lake town (only one person who is able to stand against the armies of Morgoth) finally in the Edain mod!  :D 8-)

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
« Antwort #30 am: 4. Apr 2015, 21:45 »
It certainly looks like a younger Helda XD
I wonder! Does she have some relatives from Rhun?!

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #31 am: 4. Apr 2015, 21:50 »
It certainly looks like a younger Helda XD
I wonder! Does she have some relatives from Rhun?!

Honestly,
I was a little bit limited during creating such amazing character.  :P

LordDainIronfoot

• Orkjäger vom Amon Hen
  • "Tanar Durin nur..."
« Antwort #32 am: 7. Apr 2015, 07:14 »
Believe it or not from the realeasing of the Demo I have played a lot I mean really unhelthy amount of games XD XD XD and today for the first time I got the One Ring with Theoden...and I must say that the Team made such excellent work with him!!I mean I like his looks the Red Coat and all,but mostly his Powers it is something like he is trying his best to Return the Former Glory of Rohan form the past Ages!!I really like how those powers while making his Army,Kingdom and Familly stronger it makes him loose himself into the power of the Ring and weakens him!!It really shows in very accurate way how the Rings would have affected him!It is so nice to see that!!All and all another great work guys I am so happy for what you do and please just contuinue doing it! ;)

Tienety

• Gast
« Antwort #33 am: 9. Apr 2015, 12:13 »
Edain demo is awesome. Mainly, I like the English voices and building system from bfme 1.  (**)

I love rohan in 4.0 and all the new things, especially new three generals and Theoden with one ring. Just a pity that Rohan does not have second option for the outpost.

I love new Gondor's ram. New models for Gondor soldiers are amazing. But It is a pity that it is no longer possible to use a combo Faramir + Gondor riders like in bfme 1. I think that Faramir should have the horse much earlier like 1-3 level.

I love the new units in Mordor as Guldur orcs and Khamul fron hobbit films. I also like new integration of Rhun and Harad units in spellbook. But you can hear the horn of Harad also If come reinforcements from Rhun. Could it be possible implement different and original horns?
Rhun and Harad have different horn in the films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNVvtvmpl-g&t=27

Isengard is much better in 4.0. No more furnaces spam like in 3.8.1. Uruk scouts and captains are much better than in 3.8.1. But I don't like english voice for Bill Ferry. This voice is more fits for the hero from Rhun/Harad.

CaH is better than vanilla, I like the new class. But It is impossible to create charakters as Madril or Lindir that would look exactly like in the movie. I hope that CaH will be much better in future versions with more options for appearance.
WOTR unplayable because you can't build a castles/camps, please fix this.
Ai is much better than in 3.8.1. Now Ai builds most of heroes, units and use spellbook. But it is a pity that Rohan/Gondor does not prevent the fortress. Ai don't build a towers or catapults. This destroys the feeling of siege.

But I don't like two thing in 4.0:
Fire arrows/elite units only on the 3. level buildings. I think that should be available on 2. level like in bfme 1. It is almost impossible to get this elite units or fire arrows. You must build many units which really don't need.  8-|
Also, the battles in game is too slow, I think that the units and buildings should be a little less HP.

I look forward to the full version and another factions.  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 9. Apr 2015, 15:09 von Tienety »

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
« Antwort #34 am: 9. Apr 2015, 12:31 »
You seem to pity lots of things  :D

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #35 am: 9. Apr 2015, 22:56 »
Glad to see you around here Tienety!  :D

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #36 am: 12. Apr 2015, 19:39 »
Hi! It's my very first post here, others will probably come now that I'm getting used to MU. :D

I'll try to make it short: I really like... ehm love! 4.0. All those things that I've been reading on moddb that finally come true without any disappointment.. That's outrageously good!
Anyways, I'm not gonna list out all the pros because it would be far too long and people have already done it for me! ^^

Just a few things:
- I'd love a wiki for Edain with all the stuff and the features that are in the mod. For instance I've been playing for weeks and I still don't know what really is the ring power of Theoden. ^^
- Even though I really like the global downgrade of heroes, I think it's too restrictive to give them only one task. Sometimes it also looks absurd in game and far from the lore. Some examples: Grima or Hama being ridiculously tanky for no more than a Rohan general. If you really think it benefits the gameplay, I'd consider looking for two roles per hero.
- The AI is so different from a map to another: sometimes very strong, sometimes weirdly weak.

Overall, this is so much better than 3.8. Fantastic job! (Love especially the great work done for the english translations and voices)

"That still only counts as one!"

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #37 am: 12. Apr 2015, 19:44 »
It's my very first post here, others will probably come

We hope as well!  :D
Glad to see you here.  ;)

Adrigabbro

« Antwort #38 am: 12. Apr 2015, 22:04 »
So, are you gonna tell me more about Theoden ring powers? Or shall I have to do it by myself? :P

TiberiusOgden

• Gast
« Antwort #39 am: 12. Apr 2015, 22:13 »
So, are you gonna tell me more about Theoden ring powers? Or shall I have to do it by myself? :P

Really interesting concept. Memories of old Rohan warriors through the One ring. Mass support for units and king's family, but each ability weakens its value ... - 20 % armor and - 10 % speed.

Adrigabbro

« Antwort #40 am: 12. Apr 2015, 22:34 »
Really interesting! Thanks.

Adrigabbro

« Antwort #41 am: 15. Apr 2015, 17:03 »
Just had a great game with 3 friends playing Gondor x Rohan vs. Isengard x Mordor on Central Ithillien. I was Rohan and I had been driving a massive Rohirrim army for 45 minutes; hell yeah that was insane.
The feelings you get when Theoden yells after activating his lvl 10 power (the whole speech of the movie: amazing), when my Gondor partner released the Army of the Undead on the Mordor army, when Saruman was launching fireballs at my Ents who were trying to take down his citadel...
I have never been so close to such a game in 1 year of 3.8.1. I know a lot of people have already been thanking you for this, including me, but that's truely earned! You're doing such an amazing work guys! ;)

Dwarves_of_VFX

• Hobbit
« Antwort #42 am: 18. Mai 2015, 09:13 »
I liked the gondor and anor faction and the rohirim as well but I was sad because there are no dwarves for me dwarves allways win the day
N.F

Ealendril der Dunkle

• Gast
« Antwort #43 am: 18. Mai 2015, 09:15 »
The dwarves will come.  ;)

Palpou

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #44 am: 15. Jun 2015, 12:08 »
Hello, new french guy here !
I followed Edain mod since years, very pleasant to play. Even with a french game, and it's fun to play a game with mixed french/english/german things (Saruman in german, awesome).

The version 4.0 is.. disturbing ! The "regression" for BFME 1 system is strange but not unpleasant.
I think fanatics of BFME 2 system can always play the 3.8.1 version, which was some sort of final version, in this kind.
There are so many things added in 4.0 .. What to say ? Most players above have already said everything. Agree with many things. This mod is a pearl.

I have to play many more skirmishes to appreciate everything, but what has been done is alreay great and I find the mod well balanced. What I want to see now is other factions ^^ (dwarves of course, goblins/misty mountains that are my favorite ennemies, elves, but Angmar too +++, the fight with Arnor could be awesome).

• The system [Arnor for west maps/Gondor for east maps] is awesome.
  • Awesome system for farms and the three updates
  • In the launcher, we should choose between 3.8.1 and 4.0.
  • Rams are an awesome addition.
  • I played Mordor and my ennemies AI (Gondor/Arnor) upgrade armors/weapons pretty fast.
  • I played with Arnor yesterday, fun faction to play. The armors upgrade visuals are not significant though (just change tabard for armor.. !).
  • A big difference between medium and hard difficulties (before, I used to play in brutal and it was challenging, there was some sort of progression => there in just hard, ennemies arrive full stuff after 2-3 skirmishes..!)
  • The fact that Mordor relies +++ on outpost to build strong armies incites to play offensive, it's a good thing.
  • Camps for Rohan are a great addition
  • +1 to reinforce Southron/Haradrim system, but including them in the powers was already a good idea
  • Sauron: awesome (voice ++ etc.). The system with objectives is awesome too but a bit hard (beat an enemy.. ?!). It's easy to be lvl 4-5 but it's difficult for next levels.
  • I find that Arnor has too many healing systems (heroes that heals, fortress that heals, a power that heals, fountains, and the power to regenerate themselves... !)
  • Ennemi AI "should" use castles (it would be horrible, painful, but it's the right thing to do ^^)
  • For what said Lordmaus about Isengard (no time to read Mordor now): no for shield packages, no for mine laying, no for Isengard cannon, bof for heavily armored units with spear/sword. But why not for balcon and the guards (Isenguard human guards, I saw them in Third Age Total War too). No for Isengard engineer, no for fire arrows to activate mines. In the original BFME 2 everybody could blow up mines, and I love what Edain mod 4.0 made: the use of Berserk ++ for this purpose. No for the other things beacause Isengard is already great now, and it's not lore-friendly
  • Agree with Tienety on most points, except for "slow game". I found it already fast. My buildings are (too) quickly destroyed, and my units are pretty effective against ennemies one too. Sometime I see an isolated orc with a pike that ended one of my 50% HP farm. Grrr.

- There are too many "awesome" in my answer.
- There are many things I need to experiment, the mod 4.0 is harder to play than the others (but it's a good thing).
I learned many things with your mod (Arnor, Lindon..)

Gnomi

• Administrator
« Antwort #45 am: 15. Jun 2015, 12:53 »
Hello Palpou, greetings to our neigbours! :D

We're very glad to hear that you enjoy the new version, always nice ot hear that people like it. :)

Concerning 3.):
Sorry, but we won't do it. The problem is that people would want us to add all the new stuff from 4.0 (like skins, maps, abilities...) to 3.81 and also fix the bugs and balancing issues of 3.81.
For us this would mean: Much more work.
And sadly we don't have time for this, therefore we are always just supporting the newest version. (there would be a lot of angry users, when we'ld make 3.81 again an 'official' addition at the launcher, but wouldn't support it otherwise)

Concerning 7:
Yep, that was the plan of the current version.^^ In earlier versions and even int he vanilla games, most people just fought against brutal, as this AI was quite easy. We wanted to give people a reason to also fight lower AIs and also wanted good players to give a challenge. So we made all the AIs a bit more difficult. xD

Concerning 11:
Yeah, some of the tasks are har - but you don't have to get them all! There are more tasks than level to gain. Therefore oyu can always skip some of them.

Palpou

• Thain des Auenlandes
« Antwort #46 am: 20. Jun 2015, 20:37 »
Hello and thank you !
I played Mordor again, after your answer. I didn't realize there was more tasks than levels, so it's perfect.

For me (concerning 3), I can't play RotWK anymore after the great work of edain mod team. Do you believe I can install both 3.81 and 4.0 in the same folder ? Otherwise I think I should pack a folder with 3.81 in a .zip file and 4.0 in another and alternate between the two versions.
Concerning 7 yes, I didn't even try brutal.

New points:
1) Great job for musics. In the menu before skirmish, but for adding soundtracks from The Hobbit too (the fight between Gandalf/Sauron, just heard that).
2) Ennemies don't really use walls/gates. But it was a problem since BFME 1 and I don't think we can change that. But I remember some skirmishes against Angmar where ennemies used a lot of walls + gates.

Gnomi

• Administrator
« Antwort #47 am: 20. Jun 2015, 20:47 »
No, you can't install 3.81 and 4.0 in the same folder. But you can install 3.81 - copy that folder and afterwards install 4.0 - it will automatically be installed in your "main folder". If you start the game from the other folder, then you'll play 3.81. :)

Sir_Stig

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #48 am: 24. Jul 2015, 18:07 »
No, you can't install 3.81 and 4.0 in the same folder. But you can install 3.81 - copy that folder and afterwards install 4.0 - it will automatically be installed in your "main folder". If you start the game from the other folder, then you'll play 3.81. :)
I will have to try and get this to work, it would be nice to have both versions until all factions are here :)