28. Mär 2024, 14:50 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Feedback Round: Game Speed  (Gelesen 3791 mal)

Lord of Mordor

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
Feedback Round: Game Speed
« am: 4. Apr 2015, 11:16 »
Hey guys,

now that you've had some time to get acquainted with the new version 4.0, we'll periodically hold feedback rounds like this one to gather community opinions on specific important topics. This will help us define the direction of future versions - naturally, there's still quite a bit of room for improvement in the first release of a demo version :)

One of the biggest changes is the reduced speed of the game in Edain 4.0. We'd like to hear your opinion on the following points:

1) We have greatly increased the health of most units in this version. Our main goal here was to ensure that battles are no longer immediately decided by a single cavalry charge or word of power that destroys the entire enemy army in seconds. Instead, players should have to cleverly use their assets over a longer period of time to win. How you like the duration of battles at the moment? Do you think units take too long to die, or is it just right? If you were to change anything, by how much would you adjust general health?

2) How do you like the speed in which the game progresses from small early skirmishes to larger battles? This includes many factors: How fast resources are gathered, how quickly new spells are unlocked, how long it takes until you have all upgrades, how quickly heroes gain experience and so forth.

3) Following the longer battles, we have also reduced the movement speed of units. We felt that units can't move at the same speed if the battles take longer, because then you'd be able to easily send your scattered forces from all across the map into the fight before it's even finished and positioning your units would become a lot less important. Furthermore, there's less speed difference between different units now. Men are no longer faster than Orcs, Elves are no longer faster than men and so forth. This allowed some factions to always retreat from battle while others could never escape. Now, it's more dependent on the player how many units he can save.

4) In general, do you think a game of Edain 4.0 is usually over too quickly, takes too long or just the right amount of play time?

We're looking forward to your feedback on these points :)
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Richtlinien für Edain-Vorschläge
I Edain Suggestion Guidelines

hoho96

• Verteidiger Morias
  • You Can not Hide!
Re: Feedback Round: Game Speed
« Antwort #1 am: 4. Apr 2015, 20:26 »
What i like about the  new  balance is that the action is longer and more intense, but the overall game is quite shorter than before. It's just about the right time^^
you certainly take less time to get into combat, and the progression from early to mid to late game is almost unnoticeable. It doesnt take much time to get higher tier units, but at all times you will still be using cheaper units.
the longer combat time definitely offer much more strategic thinking and choices (And fix the problem that used to happen when you close your eyes for a sec and suddenly your units disappeared because of an archer).

Although i quite like the weaker heroes, sometimes their attacks seems quite inconvenient  (especially archer heroes who i believe should have slightly higher attack).

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #2 am: 15. Apr 2015, 18:55 »
1) I think battles last just the right time, but if you had any change to make, don't increase  that duration again.

2) I used to think that it was a little bit too long to gain resources, but I'm starting to realize it was my playstyle that was to blame. Perhaps elite units take a little bit too long to enter games.

3) Fine

4) Also fine!

"That still only counts as one!"

NetoD20

• Gastwirt zu Bree
  • BAN-KAI! Tear off... Golden Demon Slayer Jizõ!!!
« Antwort #3 am: 18. Apr 2015, 06:57 »
Vedui' il'er!

Ok, first of all I must stress that I don't want to be offensive and that I love all the work and dedication the Team has been putting in this game.
I say that because I have a lot of negative feedback on this matter.

1.It takes too much time for units to kill or get killed in the game, to the point that battles become tiring. I understand why you increased the overall health of units in the game, but that becomes a problem because you nerfed archers too damn much, and they are a vital part of the siege theatre. That logic also applies to mass effect damage powers, because you chose to increase health AND nerf damage. Maybe a few powers should mass kill (Word of Power), while others should deal a damage that doesn't mass kill, but that helps cut the down the enemy (that rain of arrows power). Perhaps they should kill normal or lower level units and become a telling blow to thougher units. Heroes also become a problem because they should have less health, sometimes one or two heroes become a big problem to an entire army, which takes an painful amount of time concentrated on just killing them.

2.I have no problem with the speed of spell progression. But the speed of gathering resources is PAINFUL and BORING. There are two problems in this area: a) In the original game resource buildings evolved by themselves and you did not have to worry about managing them, just protecting them. I love to build things in the game, but the micro-management of resources, in choosing if I want more gold or command points, the amount of time taken doing this and the amount of money I have to spend on evolving them is killing me. b)In the original game I could choose to focus if I wanted to have a specific unit or upgrade by spending resources on them early on at the price of other lower level units or things I chose not to recruit/build but that are usually recruited first. But now I'm forced to get units and things I don't want to in order to evolve the building to finally get what I really wanted. I just can't cut to that aspect of the faction I wanted to enjoy just by manually evolving the building as it was possible on the original game It takes a painful and tiring amount of time to get what you want from that faction, and when you realize you're half-way through the game in the middle of a big struggle. I seriously feel like I'm being forced into a style of play that I don't enjoy.

3.I don't think this is a big problem, but I believe it would be better if units moved just a bit faster. On the other hand there should be differences between unit's speed based on their race, faction, and role. Heavy units should be slower, rangers and light-weight faster, elves should be faster, humans and orcs should have normal speed, dwarves slower, Lothlorien elves should be even faster than other elves, and so on. So there should be a logic to all of it. It doesn't matter if it will be more difficult for a certain kind unit or even whole faction to retreat, because in this case they would have other strengths and a player would then have to adapt his tactics depending on the unit he's employing.

4.Someone mentioned on a topic about game modes that a game mode limited to 600 or so command points would fulfill the needs of those players who want a faster game play, making games shorter. NO, please no! The reason I ask for a faster gameplay is because I want to get to the point faster, "the point" being when I can get the units and/or upgrades that I want for reasons of the strategy I plan to employ on the battlefield. That doesn't mean I want the game to be shorter, just that I want to put the cards on the table faster in order to establish the long and epic battle faster. I don't know if I speak for all players who want a faster gameplay, but that's what I think.

I just want to apologize if somehow I sound offensive given the emphasis I put on certain words during my cirtique of this most important aspect of the game, and we all know how we can predict the tone of someone's speech though text. This is really a subject that troubles me a lot and I hope I'm not alone.

Again I sicerely thank the Team for all the work put into this project, I'm a great admirer of you, guys. Also I thank the other players and forum members who keep one of my favourite games alive.

Aa' lasser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha.

Tienety

• Gast
« Antwort #4 am: 20. Apr 2015, 12:25 »
1) Units are dying too slowly, too much health and number of soldiers in the units. I think that you could reduce the number of soldiers in units to 5-10 like in bfme 1. In addition, only half of the twelve soldiers actually fought in the battle, the rest waits until it is their turn.

2) I think that takes too long to get improvements like fire arrows and elite units on 3. level barracks.
Gathering of resources is too slow, especially for farms on setlement.
I think that farms on setlement should start at the 2. level with more resources and CP.

3) Fine

4) I think that 4.0 is too slow, I would prefer a little faster game.

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #5 am: 20. Apr 2015, 18:06 »
As much as I'm statisfied with the first point, I definitely agree with you: reducing the number of units per troop would be great. Not only it would help computers a bit, but it would also improve the pathing of units and decrease the amount of collision bugs.

"That still only counts as one!"

Walküre

• Edain Unterstützer
  • Hoher König von Gondor
« Antwort #6 am: 21. Apr 2015, 09:22 »
1) I generally appreciate the fact that you increased the health of the units, but I think that they shouldn't be too much resistant, especially against the powers and the 'magic' of the heroes.

2) I find the game a bit slow in the beginning, both about spells and gathering resources, but probably it's just my way of playing that is slow in the first place :P
I like very much, though, the way the game progresses in time, giving us the idea of a real intense and difficult battle  :)

3) There are good reasons behind this choice, but the Elves, according to the lore, are the strongest and fairest among the other races, and the difference of speed was probably a nice solution to portray this difference among the races; but I don't see it as a fundamental problem  :)

4) The game is very balanced and the time makes it very enjoyable  :)

DrHouse93

• Elronds Berater
« Antwort #7 am: 23. Apr 2015, 01:11 »
1. To be honest, I didn't notice too much the changes in the health of units. IMO, you really notice it if your units are outnumbered and, despite being elite units, they don't deal too much damage (an example, in some of my first matches, I usually found myself fighting Mordor orcs with Tower Guards with Banner Carrier and Boromir. In a fight of six Orcs batallions against two of Tower Guards I would've never expect the Tower Guards to be the winners, but I think they should deal more damage, being one of the elite units of Gondor, while they actually did very few damage). But other than that, I think the whole concept is quite balanced

2. Being a person who loves dinamic games, I must say I really love this part. The fact that battle starts almost immediately, and it keeps going on till the very end to control the territory it's one of the things which I love more, because it really makes it challenging. And it's not just like the spam game of 3.81 and the vanilla game, because the AI is much more "clever" and attacks different places, usually with the help of heroes and spells and in different ways. The resource gathering may be a little slow at the beginning, but if you can manage well your territory and keep an eye on your economic buildings the whole system becomes more efficient. One thing I don't like, however, is the fact that, if you have to train your troops constantly to fight the enemy, usually you don't have money for anything else (but again, this may depend on how resources are gathered and managed)

3. Again, I didn't really notice it, especially because often my units have been killed nonetheless while I was retreating them. I will keep this feature, since it differentiates the gameplay of the factions, but without making it too evident

4. Absolutely not. I like any single second spent playing Edain 4, while most of the matches in previous versions were boring and repetitive: they usually ended either too soon or too late (which wasn't funny, because of different mechanics)

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
« Antwort #8 am: 1. Mai 2015, 05:37 »
I think that the current health and speed of units is fine, along with resource gain. I think the thing that should be change is counters to units. They should be much more pronounced, for example, sword battalion vs another sword battalion shouldn't change, but archers should be able to cut swordsmen down much faster, archers should die very quickly to cavalry, etc.

Also, cavalry right now don't take much damage from pikes, and as much as I love getting an unstoppable force of Rohirrim it doesn't make sense that they beat armies of fully upgraded pikes with just leadership. To counter this, I would just make Théoden's Glorious Charge last longer, or cooldown faster, and have it available a couple levels earlier, like level 7 or 8. Another idea is give all rohirrim passive resistance to pikes once they reach level 5, on top of any upgrades like horse shields. That way they could still be killed early game, but late game would perform just as you would expect from a faction based entirely around cavalry. This would also reflect the books and films, as when the war begins the Rohirrim are inexperienced ragtag peasants, but once they reach the Pelennor they are a nigh unstoppable force.

If this is changed, then Isengard might become a little OP with their shieldbearers, so I also think that shieldbearers should no longer slow cavalry charges, just protect vs arrows and melee. Finally in regards to pacing, if orcs are going to remain free they either need to build even slower than currently do, or have their health halved at least. In fact I think it would make more sense to have them build faster than they do currently, and cost half of their current CP, but have practically no hitpoints, able to die in 1 hit from most enemies, and as well they should passively be half as effective at slowing cavalry, so they don't get stuck so easily. This would represent them canonically much better than their current state, which late game is literally unstoppable. Once you have all 3 types of free orcs pumping out of level 3 orc pits, with the debuffs of Mordors excellent heroes, you can defeat any force, even cavalry will just get stuck in the middle of the mass. With Khamul's passive aura you don't even need siege, you can just stand near a gate till it falls over xD

Overall though, I love and much prefer the slower, more epic gameplay of the mod. Cheers, well done, and keep up the fantastic work!  :D
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Sir_Stig

• Gastwirt zu Bree
« Antwort #9 am: 4. Mai 2015, 16:40 »
Pretty much exactly what Elite said, I think with extra health the counter system needs to be harder, as battles are less about strategy now and more about just overwhelming one side (this should be Mordor style, not MotW).