19. Apr 2024, 09:37 Hallo Gast.
Willkommen Gast. Bitte einloggen oder registrieren. Haben Sie Ihre Aktivierungs E-Mail übersehen?

Einloggen mit Benutzername, Passwort und Sitzungslänge. Hierbei werden gemäß Datenschutzerklärung Benutzername und Passwort verschlüsselt für die gewählte Dauer in einem Cookie abgelegt.

Select Boards:

Language:

Autor Thema: Discussion About 4.1.2  (Gelesen 6833 mal)

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
  • Arise! Arise, Writers of KryPtik!
Re: Discussion About 4.1.2
« Antwort #15 am: 23. Aug 2015, 20:21 »
This change is not balanced. Any skilled competitive player is now able to use Rohan or Mordor to easily shut down and defeat Isengard very fast, and quickly get siege to deal with GOndor and Dwarves. Expanding outwards is an essential part of the game, but Gondor and Isengard lack the ability to make troops to counter the early game spam, so they rely much more on inner farms. Having so few of these early game makes it basically impossible for them to win against somebody who knows what they are doing as Rohan or Mordor.

Now, I'm also not trying to insult anybody here, or say anybody sucks, I am just stating facts. I have played with several of the best players who play the mod, and I also consider myself to be one of them, once again not trying to be rude or brag. In every game I have had Isengard or Gondor v Rohan or Mordor, all my outer farms get destroyed very quickly, and I had to rely on inner farms to come back. Now that they cost 500, that gives the other player the ability to get waaaayyyy more resources than you, and ultimately it is having the opposite effect of its intention to promote sieges, because more people just ragequit now when they see how impossible it is for them to have any chance of coming back. The old system was better.

If the cost was changed to 400, then the amount generated would also need to be changed, and so it still would not make sense. Outer farms being cheaper and generating more, and inner farms being more expensive and generating less, is the way it should be and has always been within the BFME1 style. The game was much more balanced for all factions early game when it was like this, and changing it has just made Mordor and Rohan OP. The team also keeps nerfing Rohan because of this, which is extremely frustrating, because their only chance to win comes in early game. Once an enemy has amassed pikes or elite infantry, Rohan has no chance of winning.
« Letzte Änderung: 23. Aug 2015, 20:25 von Elite KryPtik »
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Adrigabbro

• Gesandter der Freien Völker
« Antwort #16 am: 23. Aug 2015, 21:27 »

Gondor can actually get a shit tons of troops early on (at the expense of mid to late game though). Regular soldiers are not really expensive, they are trained quite fast and can last a long time thanks to their fighting formation. The problem with Gondor is that you have to build as many farms as possible early on, but those farms are not helpful outside the outcome. Indeed, you can't recruit cavalry early because it is too expensive so the discount doesn't help, compared to Mordor whose discount is extremely usefull.

I haven't played a single 1v1 in 4.1.2 so far, I'll trust you on that.

I disagree. I think it would make sense. If outer farms are both cheaper and generate more, then map control becomes even more important and once you are behind you can hardly come back.

"That still only counts as one!"

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #17 am: 24. Aug 2015, 00:06 »
As you stated, yes Gondor CAN spam troops, but those troops are not at all valuable past early game, and it hurts your economy more to do this in my view. Also, cavalry start is 1 of the most dangerous starts for Gondor, if done skillfully you can do a frightening amount of harassment and creeping, because Gondor cavalry are very strong and hard to kill with their formation. Like you said though, its nearly impossible to keep hold of your outer farms for the discount, which makes the cavalry unaffordable.

As for your final statement, yes it would make map control more important, but you have to realize it also gives more resources. If you are able to get just 2 or 3 outer farms and keep them for a short time, you actually are set up better for a siege than you are in the current method, because those farms were cheap, and generated enough resources to allow you to get something of an army and maybe a couple heroes, along with all your inner farms. I know this to be true, because I have played every version competitively except 4.0, and have seen the way the changes to the economy buildings impact all stages of the game. The old system worked far better to allow the defending player to get some wall defenses and a bit of an army to try and hold the enemy off with, while also ensuring that people who just camp in their base will lose, which is the way it should be. You should NOT be able to just sit in your base and survive.
Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter! Spear shall be shaken! Shield shall be splintered! A sword day, a red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now! Ride now! Ride, ride to ruin, and the worlds ending! FORTH EORLINGAS!

Lord of Mordor

• Edain Ehrenmember
  • Bewahrer des roten Buches
« Antwort #18 am: 24. Aug 2015, 01:01 »
The question for me is what the systemic problems are here. Is it a problem that factions have to conquer settlements at the start to set up their economy and fight for them before they can build up their castle economy? I wouldn't say so, that's actually what we wanted. The focus of the game is meant to shift over time, starting with the settlements and then slowly moving to the fortress as the main point of contention. A lategame fortress should produce enough that you actually have to siege it, and for that siege to be exciting the defender must still have a chance to win if he plays well. On the other hand of course you shouldn't be able to bunker from the start because then the game stops being dynamic, which is why we tried this new system of fortress economy being strong overall, but also expensive and not as efficient on a production per cost level. The idea is that you have to conquer settlements to get started, but later on outposts and fortresses emerge as more valuable targets (note that outposts have the same powerful but expensive economy as the fortress, so there's still a significant part of the economy outside the fortress).

So I'd say the main problem here is the fact that two factions, Rohan and Mordor, can put out so much manpower in the early part of the game that no other faction can compete with it. That can never be healthy for gameplay, regardless of the economy system. We want early fights for farms, and we want them to be interesting with both the attacker and defender having a chance. That seems to require weakening Rohan's and Mordor's early spam to a more reasonable level. In Rohan's case, this will probably have to go along with compensating lategame buffs like a dismount for the Royal Guard. In Mordor's case I'm not so sure, they already have quite a few very powerful late game options after all.

Why are Gondor soldiers useless later, by the way? Upgrades are there precisely to let units like them stay relevant throughout the game.

The cavalry change was not meant as a nerf, it's an experimental entirely new system. Previous feedback has been that cavalry can't even get rid of basic archers because their trample deals to little damage and if they stick around in melee to finish the job they get murdered. Now, Rohirrim kill Gondor archers by trampling them once. It follows quite naturally though that one group of Rohirrim shouldn't be able to oneshot entire armies of archers, hence the stronger slowdown. The details of this can easily be adjusted, but I think it's potentially a more interesting system than being able to trample lots of units with one group while dealing little damage to each of them.

Heroes are still stronger than they were with the release of 4.0, we just took back a part of a recent and quite significant health buff. That is because we got feedback that people were simply spamming heroes and there wasn't much you can do about that. I've also heard from some very proficient players that even with the new economy and the hero nerf, Gondor can still sit back in its base, get enough money to spam heroes from just their internal structures and beat the enemy with that. This is part of what makes this balancing job so difficult: We don't have a playerbase of hundreds of thousands of people to analyze general patterns, and we often get very different feedback from playgroups that play the game in different ways.
« Letzte Änderung: 24. Aug 2015, 01:50 von Lord of Mordor »
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Richtlinien für Edain-Vorschläge
I Edain Suggestion Guidelines

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #19 am: 24. Aug 2015, 01:52 »
The question for me is what the systemic problems are here. Is it a problem that factions have to conquer settlements at the start to set up their economy and fight for them before they can build up their castle economy? I wouldn't say so, that's actually what we wanted. The focus of the game is meant to shift over time, starting with the settlements and then slowly moving to the fortress as the main point of contention. A lategame fortress should produce enough that you actually have to siege it, and for that siege to be exciting the defender must still have a chance to win if he plays well. On the other hand of course you shouldn't be able to bunker from the start because then the game stops being dynamic, which is why we tried this new system of fortress economy being strong overall, but also expensive and not as efficient on a production per cost level. The idea is that you have to conquer settlements to get started, but later on outposts and fortresses emerge as more valuable targets (note that outposts have the same powerful but expensive economy as the fortress, so there's still a significant part of the economy outside the fortress).
First, thanks for the response!
Now what I will say to this is that in 4.0, the very first English release of the mod that made me absolutely fall in love with it, the economy system allowed people to get enough money to survive in a siege. I know because I did it plenty of times against my friends, and that might not have been competitive but we were still playing as good as we could. Now, moving on to the updates released, when I really DID start playing competitively on Tunngle and such, once again I was frequently able to get enough of an economy to defend if my enemy got map control. So my question is this: if the old system worked fine, why change it? I know that your aim is to get people to try and defend in a siege, but the fact is that a lot of people just can't be bothered. Sadly, a lot of people don't like long drawn out games like myself and a few others, and just want to quickly finish a game in 10 or 20 minutes. If the economy system hadn't been changed, there wouldn't be any need at all to nerf either Rohan or Mordor, which brings me back to my point, why change something that works fine?

So I'd say the main problem here is the fact that two factions, Rohan and Mordor, can put out so much manpower in the early part of the game that no other faction can compete with it. That can never be healthy for gameplay, regardless of the economy system. We want early fights for farms, and we want them to be interesting with both the attacker and defender having a chance. That seems to require weakening Rohan's and Mordor's early spam to a more reasonable level. In Rohan's case, this will probably have to go along with compensating lategame buffs like a dismount for the Royal Guard. In Mordor's case I'm not so sure, they already have quite a few very powerful late game options after all.
Mordor doesn't need any nerfs to their orc spam, that is how they are meant to be played, with extreme aggression. The difference between Mordor and Rohan is Mordor actually has extremely good late game units, while Rohan really doesn't. Instead of just making Royal guard better, Rohan needs a new unit or abilities to contend with pike spam, and there have been many suggestions for this. Ranging from making the Military Camp Rohirrim stronger, to adding new cavalry units that can resist pikes better, to making abilities that reduce pike damage. Of course, you could also add some elite infantry units, but since you(the Edain team) have stated that you want Rohan to be a cavalry faction, which really makes quite a lot of sense in their lore, something should be done to help their cavalry more appealing late game, over peasant spam. Also, this is a little off topic, but I think the best way to help Isengard survive early game would be to simply reduce the cost and recruitment time of Scouts, and also make them a little weaker, along with reducing the cost of the Wildmen Hut and Wildmen themselves. I would say scouts should be 200, Wildmen Hut should be 250 like all other external buildings, wildmen should be 150 and wildmen axe throwers should be 250, and finally torches upgrade should be 100 for normal wildmen, 150 for axe throwers. Now, these units should be about as good as a peasant spam, with scouts being a little stronger, Torches should make Widlmen about as good as Drafted Peasants.

Why are Gondor soldiers useless later, by the way? Upgrades are there precisely to let units like them stay relevant throughout the game.
Useless as compared to the other units Gondor can get. Gondor Soldiers with upgrades are much weaker than say Tower Guards or Rangers, even the fiefdom troops are better. I would define their uselessness as thus: A full Gondor army made up of basic swordsmen and archers is much easier to kill, and much weaker, than a full army of tower guards and rangers.

The cavalry change was not meant as a nerf, it's an experimental entirely new system. Previous feedback has been that cavalry can't even get rid of basic archers because their trample deals to little damage and if they stick around in melee to finish the job they get murdered. Now, Rohirrim kill Gondor archers by trampling them once. It follows quite naturally though that one group of Rohirrim shouldn't be able to oneshot entire armies of archers, hence the stronger slowdown. The details of this can easily be adjusted, but I think it's potentially a more interesting system than being able to trample lots of units with one group while dealing little damage to each of them.
I never intended to imply that I thought the cavalry change was a nerf, what I said was that it was a double edged sword. It has made cavalry next to useless against Gondor, Isengard and Dwarves, while making them extremely strong and useful against Mordor, Rohan and the forthcoming Lothlorien. I personally think a happy medium should be found, where cavalry can instakill archers by trampling, and deal heavy damage to swordsmen, but also be able to trample pikes without instantly dying. I really like the new slowdown mechanics, and I think they fit well. The current system, both damage and trample deceleration, is really the same as vanilla BFME. I didn't have a problem with this, just the hero nerf and economy system. Also, I don't know who said cavalry dies if they stick around for melee, that's how I beat people as Rohan in my early days of the mod, trample once then melee it out.

Heroes are still stronger than they were with the release of 4.0, we just took back a part of a recent and quite significant. That is because we got feedback that people were simply spamming heroes and there wasn't much you can do about that. I've also heard from some very proficient players that even with the new economy and the hero nerf, Gondor can still sit back in its base, get enough money to spam heroes from just their internal structures and beat the enemy with that. This is part of what makes this balancing job so difficult: We don't have a playerbase of hundreds of thousands of people to analyze general patterns, and we often get very different feedback from playgroups that play the game in different ways.
Well, I will just say this, my games against Gondor are rarely a hero rush situation. Usually, the Gondor player fights to try and keep outer map control, spamming weak Gondor Soldiers, and this costs them the game. I myself don't spam heroes either as any faction until I have a reasonably strong army, because even before they were nerfed in 4.1.2 they weren't as good as an army, at least in my view. To my knowledge, hero spamming only happened with Rohan, Gondor and Dwarves, and that was only when statues were 100 and could give 50% off. With the new(excellent) changes to the heroic statues, I never saw another player hero rush again. I also understand that you probably get lots of different feedback from different sources, but I'm going to stick to my guns on this one, I think the only heroes that needed a bit of a nerf were Dwarves. In this new update, just fighting in large scale battles will get heroes killed, even if they are in the middle of your army and all your enemies heroes are dead. The lack of health substantially decreases their role. Maybe instead of weakening their health, you could weaken their armor against other heroes? That way you could get your heroes to participate in big epic battles without dying just from the normal units.

Nice to have a serious discussion about this with a team member, I hope you'll continue the discussion :)

Isilendil

• Bilbos Festgast
« Antwort #20 am: 25. Aug 2015, 08:24 »
I play Edain for 3 years and I can tell that you took a huge step backwards, than forward. In Edain 3.8.1 much more the best gameplay and the atmosphere of game. In Edain 4.0 all on another
, there isn't enough freedom in this gameplay and all game on some captures of positions. I am sure that many fans of Edain will agree and agree with me to this day. If you respect opinion of the fans, make the right decision. At the moment you move back and Edain 3.8.1 though old, but much more the interesting version, than 4. I write surely that much don't like Edain 4 as I am the administrator in community of fans of Edain from all CIS countries and constantly I notice discontent to Edain 4 and sympathy for Edain 4
Our community - vk.com/edain_mod
The text is written by means of translate.ru. In advance I apologize for mistakes.

korner

• Bibliothekar Bruchtals
« Antwort #21 am: 25. Aug 2015, 08:43 »
I play Edain for 3 years and I can tell that you took a huge step backwards, than forward. In Edain 3.8.1 much more the best gameplay and the atmosphere of game. In Edain 4.0 all on another
, there isn't enough freedom in this gameplay and all game on some captures of positions. I am sure that many fans of Edain will agree and agree with me to this day. If you respect opinion of the fans, make the right decision. At the moment you move back and Edain 3.8.1 though old, but much more the interesting version, than 4. I write surely that much don't like Edain 4 as I am the administrator in community of fans of Edain from all CIS countries and constantly I notice discontent to Edain 4 and sympathy for Edain 4
The text is written by means of translate.ru. In advance I apologize for mistakes.

I would say at least 80% of people on this board here WANTED to have the game in the style of BFME I with the fixed building locations.
Therefore I think the team acted according to the wishes of the community (and also their own preference), not against it.
If people on your board don´t like it - I´m sorry for them, but that´s life...

Most people here like the changes very much (me too). Of course it´s now a totally different game then before.
But if you want the old gameplay experience you can also install and play 3.81, which was also a very stable, bug-free version. That´s no problem, feel free to play the old version if you prefer.

Elite KryPtik

• Gardist von Meduseld
« Antwort #22 am: 25. Aug 2015, 17:41 »

The majority of people I have talked to in while playing online have stated that they prefer this version to others, because it is more strategic and skill based. I personally was just waiting for the English translation so that I could understand what I was playing, and I would have played the free build bfme2 style, but I massively prefer the bfme1 style.